Thailand Corner Essay Contest
The Royal Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires, with the collaboration from the National University of La Plata, the Catholic University of Córdoba, the Catholic University of Salta, the National University of Comahue from the Republic of Argentina, and the Catholic University of Uruguay from the Oriental Republic of Uruguay, would like to invite undergraduate students to participate in the First Edition of the Thailand Corner Essay Contest.
Objectives & Topics
The contest aims fundamentally to encourage the development of academic analysis and researches to deepen the knowledge about Thailand.
The subjects or topics of the essays shall focus on Thailand, its religious, socio-cultural, economic and historical dynamics and its developments, and / or their relations with the Republic of Argentina and the Oriental Republic of Uruguay.
Suggested subjects or topics are as follow:
• 60 years of Thailand – Argentina diplomatic relations
• 38 years of Thailand – Uruguay diplomatic relations
• Comparison of religious, social-cultural, economic and historical aspects of Thailand and Argentina or Uruguay
• Thailand and Argentina or Uruguay as development partners
Please note that the above suggested subjects or topics are optional and not compulsory. Participants may submit an essay with any other subject or topic related to Thailand.
Citizens of Argentina and Uruguay, who are undergraduate students from any public and private universities in the mentioned countries will be eligible to participate and submit their essays.
Guidelines for Submission
Participants must follow the guidelines below strictly otherwise they will be disqualified.
• The essay should refer to reference materials or books from the Thailand Corners in the participating countries. These are located at:
- The Faculty of Law and Social Sciencias of the National University of la Plata
(48 st between 6 and 7 – La Plata City – Argentina, phone: (54-221) 423-6701/06)
- The main library of the Catholic University of Córdoba
(3555 Armada Argentina Av. – Córdoba City – Argentina, phone: (54-351) 4938090/91)
- The main library of the Catholic University of Salta
(Campo Castañares - Salta City – Argentina, phone: (54-0387) 4268524)
- The main library of the Catholic University of Uruguay,
(2738 8 de Octubre Av. – Montevideo City – Uruguay, phone: (598) 24872717)
• The essay must be unpublished and original, having approximately a minimum length of 10 pages and a maximum length of 15 pages, numbered consecutively (excluding title page, footnotes and bibliography) and written in Times New Roman font, size 12 and 1.5 line space, in PDF format, using A4 paper size (21 cm x 29.7 cm). It must be submitted as a monograph, divided into a front page showing the title, an introduction, a body and a conclusion (besides the bibliography, according to APA referencing system). The essay can be written in Spanish or English.
• The essay must be written by a single author, signed with a pseudonym that does not result in inducing the identity of the author. There shall be no type of sign that may identify the author. The option of "author" among the properties of the document of the word processor must be empty. The paper or the file with the essay must be named "Thailand Corner Essay Contest – essay title - chosen pseudonym". The jury will know the name of the author once the winner essay have been selected, for which the file that accompanied the essay will be opened. It is possible to submit more than one essay per author.
• The essay may be submitted on paper enclosed inside an enveloped or sent by email. The paper or the file with the essay must be accompanied with two other separated papers or files identified with the pseudonym, an executive summary of the content of the essay exclusively in English of no more than 300 (three hundred) words, named "Thailand Corner Essay Contest – summary - chosen pseudonym", and a resume of the basic personal information of the author of the essay (first name and surname, identify document, home address, phone number, email address, student status, university affiliation), named "Thailand Corner Essay Contest - personal information - chosen pseudonym", with a copy of personal ID and university student ID, certificate letter, or other equivalent official academic document.
• All the documents or files must be delivered or sent in a closed enveloped by certified post to the Royal Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires address: 1947 Vuelta de Obligado st. 12º floor, postal code 1428, Buenos Aires City, Republic of Argentina, named "Thailand Corner Essay Contest” or to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. They must be submitted before the 4th day of the month of July 2014 at 18:00 hrs, as previously indicated. No essays will be accepted after the said date.
The partial or total failure to comply with the previously detailed guidelines entails the automatic disqualification from the contest.
Participation in the contest implies acceptance of these rules in all its terms. The organizers reserve the right to amend without notice the terms of these Rules.
The winning essay will be intellectual property of their respective owners. The author assumes sole responsibility for the claims of any nature that may make third parties regarding the originality or for any other reason on the essay presented. The organizer reserves the right to publish the essays submitted by the participants.
The essays will be evaluated by a jury consisting of Dra. Florencia Rubiolo, Prof. Martín Horacio Barrandeguy, Dra. Susana Mangana, Lic. Alcira Trincheri, and Lic. Ezequiel Ramoneda, scholars members of renowned Argentine and Uruguayan universities, with specializations which fits the subject or topic of the Contest, together with diplomatic representatives of the Royal Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires. The decision of the jury will be final.
The jury will choose only one winner.
After the evaluation stage, the organizer will announce the results on the 1st day of the month of August 2014, as well as inform about the award ceremony. The organizer will make personal communications only to the winner.
The Royal Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires, as well as all the collaborating academic institutions are not responsible to provide any type of transportation assistance for the winner to the location hosting the award ceremony. The transportation costs shall be covered only by the winners.
In case that a winner cannot be present at the award ceremony, the prize will be transferred or hand-delivered.
A return air ticket Buenos Aires – Bangkok – Buenos Aires.
The Royal Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires
National University of La Plata, the Catholic University of Córdoba, the Catholic University of Salta, the National University of Comahue from the Republic of Argentina, and the Catholic University of Uruguay from the Oriental Republic of Uruguay
For more information contact us at email@example.com